Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 17-24th

Well it is about time that I start on my blog.  This last week we did a level one and have started on a level two ISLT training course.  Basically the ISLT training is teaching how to do sports ministry and discovering traits and other info about yourself. The level one was very informative and helped me to see different things about myself and ministry.  It was a really good experience.  There were about eleven of us in the course.  We would wake up and have a session at eight, a session at ten, a session at one thirty, and then a final session at three thirty.  They were long days, but good days.  There were four days of training that went with the level one.  After the level one training ended on Thursday we had some time off to chill the rest of the afternoon.  I elected to finish my souvenir shopping and then a group of us went and watched X-Men: First Class.  I mean I had seen it before, but it as a good way to let relax; and X-Men is a good movie.  After that we went back and hung out at the Island.  The next day, Friday, we started our level two training.  This was a good day.  The training was really top notch and I learned a lot, but that was not the best part of the day.  The best part came when I headed to the airport and flew to Jo’burg.  Yeah I did a little bit of traveling this weekend.  I had been in contact with one of the guys from my rugby team and he told me that a majority of the guys were going to be playing in a game in Middleburg Mpumalanga.  Well I thought about it and prayed about it, and decided that it was something that I needed to be at.  So on Tuesday I bought my tickets, cost me $150 round trip, and got Hein to help me with accommodation and transport.  So Friday after the session I was able to get a ride from Ben to the airport and then got ready to head out.  I have noticed a really good thing when it comes to flying domestically.  The security is a lot less intense.  I mean you still have to go through metal detectors and everything, but I don’t think they are a sensitive as the ones that are in the international portion.  Anyway, after getting in through security I had about three hours to kill.  I decided to get a book.  My flight left at 10:30 at night and landed in Jo’burg at around 12:30 in the morning.  I was then picked up at the airport by a guy who does volunteer work for SCAS, Theo.   Hein had worked out that he would drive me around and let me stay at his house.  It was a really good deal and I was happy to get the opportunity.  So after being picked up at the airport, we headed back to Theo’s house and went to bed.  We got up the next morning at around 7:30 so that we could then drive to Middleburg.  The drive was going to take around two hours.  So we started going.  It was myself, Theo, and Theo’s friend Jok (not sure if that is how you spell it).  It was a nice drive.  I mean it was somewhat dull, but it was really good to see a different part of the country.  We rolled into town at around 10:05 and took a bit of time finding the high school.  Middleburg is a fairly big place and so there were a couple of different schools to choose from.  Eventually we made it to the right place.  Lucky for us we got there early.  The game that was originally supposed to start at 11:00 ended up starting at 10:30 or a little bit after.  So the three of us went in and tried to spot the team.  Originally I thought that all of the Pumas would be playing; however, it was just a few of them.  Nine of the guys that I was with were playing in the game.  The cool thing is that the guys playing were probably the closest ones to me on the team.   But the game was between Middleburg HTS and Nelspruit High.  Three of the guys were playing for Nelspruit and six were on the Middleburg team.  As we walked in I saw the Pumas vice-captain, Beer, and was able to call him over.  I wished him luck and then let him go on his way to get ready for the game.  We then headed to the top row in the stands to watch the game.  It was a very good game.  It wasn’t as close as the ones during the Craven week but it was still a close game.  The issue I faced was, who to root for.  I found that I couldn’t just root for one team since some of my guys were on the other team.  I was left cheering for everybody.  When one of my guys would make a play, I would cheer.  So it must have been kind of funny seeing this guy clapping for both guys.  After the whistle was blown at full time the Middleburg Red Bulls were the victors.  I headed down from the rafters to see if I could talk to some of the guys.  I went first to the Nelspruit side to see them since they had just lost and would want to get on the road to get back.  Luckily I was able to catch all three of the guys Daniel, Beer, and Menzi.  I talked to them for a bit.  They were fairly surprised that I was able to make it.  It was really good to see those guys.  We talked for a bit and then it was time for them to go.  After that I headed around the stadium to see if I could find the other guys.  As I was walking, I saw one of my guys sitting on the concrete lip behind the stadium.  Petrus was talking on his phone.  He then looked up and got a big smile on his face.  I walked over and we greeted each other.  He then asked if I wanted to go see the rest of the guys and so I followed him to see the guys.  Once I turned the corner in front of the stands the guys saw me.  They then jumped up and ran over.  We greeted each other and chatted for a while.  Then before the Nelspruit guys went back, I decided to get a picture.  We went outside the stadium and I was able to get a picture with the guys there.  Beer and Daniel had already left and so I missed getting one with them.  After the picture I went back in and watched most of the under 18s with them.  We were sitting in the student section co it was a new experience for me.  South African school rugby.  I was introduced to the Middleburg team by my guys and was incorporated into the group.  I set there and talked with the guys and listened to them talk and just had a great time.  After a while, Theo sent me a text asking if we could go, and so I said my goodbyes and went back to the car.  We then headed back to Jo’burg.  When we got back we went and got some food for a braai and then it was back to Theo’s for watching rugby and resting.  That night I was able to school them in Madden ’10 and we went to bed.  The next morning Theo and I got up at 5:00 so that I could make my 7:30 flight.  Once back in Cape Town I went and ate breakfast and then met Casper at a gas station.  That was a nice trek by the way.  After that we did some shopping for dinner and then headed back to the Island.  At the Island the rest of the group was still going through training.  I then went and joined them.  After the day of training was over, we hung out for the rest of the night and got ready for training the next morning.  Over all I was really glad that I got to see my guys this weekend. It reinforces my hope that I will get to come back next year.  Well until next time.  This is Ryan Dillon signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment